PERSONAL CARE SERVICES AND FUNCTIONS IN SMITHTOWN, NY
When an individual needs help with the activities of daily living, to avoid a nursing home and remain in their residence (whether it’s in Smithtown, Valley Stream, or any other Long Island town), a benefit worth looking into is Community-based Medicaid. Community Medicaid will pay an agency that will provide home health aides to assist with personal care services in the home.
In previous articles, a list was provided of services that a home health aide can provide. The following lists personal care functions that can also be provided:
1. Bathing in the bed, the tub or the shower;
3. Grooming, including hair, shaving and ordinary care of nails, teeth and mouth;
4. Toileting, may include assisting on and off the bedpan, commode or toilet;
5. Walking, beyond that provided by durable medical equipment, within the home and outside the home;
6. Transferring from bed to chair or wheelchair;
7. Preparing of meals in accordance with modified diets, including low sugar, low fat, and low residue diets;
9. Administration of medication by the member, including:
prompting the member as to time,
identifying the medication for the member,
bringing the medication and any necessary supplies or equipment to the member,
opening the container for the member,
positioning the member for medication administration,
disposing of used equipment, supplies and materials, and
correct storage of medication;
10. Providing routine skin care;
11. Using medical supplies and equipment such as walkers and wheelchairs; and
12. Changing of simple dressings.
Aaron E. Futterman, CPA, Esq. is a partner in the law firm of with offices in Smithtown, NY and Valley Stream, NY and clients throughout Suffolk, Nassau, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Richmond, New York, Westchester and Rockland Counties. He concentrates his practice to Elder Law, Medicaid Planning, Medicaid Applications, Estate Planning, Probate, Estate Taxes, and Estate Administration.
See “Guidelines for the Provision of Personal Care Services in Medicaid Managed Care” at www.health.ny.gov