Preserving & Protecting Your Family’s Assets & Legacy

What do I do when I’m in a car accident?

by | Jan 20, 2021 | Barrie's Banter, Motor Vehicle Accidents |

Just in a car accident? Here is what you should do.

  • Don’t panic.
  • Call 911.  Have the police come to the scene.
  • If you are hurt, have an ambulance take you to the hospital.
  • If it is safe, then here are helpful steps once you call the police.
  • Take photos of the accident scene and the position of the vehicles.
  • Take photos of all vehicles involved and their damage.  Include a photograph of the license plates of other vehicles involved.
  • Take photos of the other driver’s license and insurance card.
  • Get the name, address and phone numbers of any WITNESSES – incredibly important.
  • Get the ID number of the police report.
  • I also recommend going to the emergency room, even if not by ambulance.  You may be experiencing an adrenaline rush and not realize that you are hurt.
  • If you are a senior, you should especially go to the emergency room. If you sustained any type of head injury, you should insist upon a head CT – seniors are more susceptible to brain bleeds due to a thinning of the skull as we get older.

Please call me as soon as possible to answer any questions. We even have clients that call from the scene of the accident.

Reach me at 631-979-4300.

All information is given under the laws of the State of New York.


RSS Feed

An Elder Law And Estate Planning Law Firm On Your Side.