Preserving & Protecting Your Family’s Assets & Legacy

Personal injury from a car accident

by | Feb 18, 2021 | Barrie's Banter |

This is what happens after the day of the car accident.

If you hired a personal injury attorney, your attorney will obtain a copy of the police report and will file the no fault application on your behalf.  In most cases, that must be filed within 30 days of the accident.

Your job is to get as well as you can.  You should seek out doctors in different areas of specialty in the hopes that the combined or alternate treatment types (for example – orthopedic, physical therapy, neurological, psychological, massage, chiropractic, acupuncture) will bring you as close to pre-accident status as possible.

Make sure that anyone treating you takes no-fault, and most practitioners do.

You can find the best doctors in referrals from friends or family but in many cases, your attorney also knows who their past clients treat with and their opinion of them.  Some attorneys have a “relationship” with health care providers, and I caution you to be wary of those.  Make sure that the person treating you is the right fit for you and not just your attorney!

Keep your lawyer informed regarding what is going on with you and your health and recovery.

If you are employed and are unable to work, you must provide no fault with a disability note. It means what it says – a note from a medical doctor who is treating you, that you are unable to work because of injuries sustained in your accident.  This note must be obtained every 30 days. No-fault will not accept “until further notice”. Sometimes it feels like the insurance companies try to make your path even more difficult.

You should also track and submit your travel and other out-of-pocket expenses once every 30 days for reimbursement from the no-fault insurance company.

These items above are provided via no-fault and you are entitled to them if you follow the steps.

Seniors who are involved in car accidents are sometimes hesitant to drive again after an accident. There are local places that provide an independent assessment of driving ability.

We offer a free consultation. If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to us. We are available by phone, videoconference or in person.

You can contact me online or call the office phone number is 631-979-4300.

All information provided here is given based on New York laws.


RSS Feed

An Elder Law And Estate Planning Law Firm On Your Side.